Thursday, January 26, 2006

A little evil

Google's "Don't be evil" motto is no more. Yesterday they bowed to peer pressure and struck a deal with the Chinese government. google.cn is the new search engine portal in China, but results will be censored. Try for yourself: type "Tiananmen Square protests" in google.com, and then compare.

Google doesn't need more money, but they can risk looking bad. A couple years ago this would have been bad PR, but now they're impossible to avoid. I'll do my best, however, and start using Teoma for a change, at least until Nutch becomes implemented.

Next is changing the google browser toolbar...

1 comment:

Gabriel Florit said...

On the other hand, like one of my co-workers says, this could be one of many small steps towards complete freedom of speech. So I guess the end justifies the means, and since Google isn't handing out any information (unlike Yahoo!), I will now go back to using Google.

There! Much better. It was a tough 2 hours...