Saturday, November 12, 2005

Walmart!

is the place where I bought the four-dollar cameras that took the following pictures. Wal-mart, of course, was also the place where I got them developed. And to round it off nicely, yes, I despise McDonald's also, but nothing beats a Big Mac. Sorry Margo, I know you hated making them. This weekend was eventful. I've kept myself busy, raking leaves, mowing the grass, taking pictures, getting them developed, and buying a bookcase. Recently (in the past month) read Coming Through Slaughter, Anil's Ghost, The Book of Daniel, and The Da Vinci Code. Any of you read any of these? Any thoughts/comments? I started the Da Vinci one at 7pm, in the upstairs of Saratoga's Borders, and finished it at 4:33am, on my couch. Just couldn't stop reading.

OK. Here are the pictures. Click on them for a larger version. My apartment in Sioux Center, hours before leaving. Thank you, Arlo, for all the help.



My 1998 Windstar, also hours before leaving. All my worldly possessions were in that van. Notice the maroon body board leaning against the wall. That'll come in handy in the Adirondack Mountains...



The World's Most Wholesomest Couple, minutes before Gabe sighed a heavy sigh and cried "Oh, farewell, my love, my eternal companion, my Sioux Center! In your womb you carry my darkest secrets! Oh adieu my Iowa! I shall miss you eternally! Oh, the humanity! Ah, the despair! The horror! The horror!".

Sorry Sarah, your picture turned out too dark. An ill omen, perhaps?



Somewhere in Iowa. I deemed it necessary to take a picture, lest I forget the sights and sounds...



My new residence, at least until Summer 2006. I do love the blue trim.


Up close and personal.



The living room. Observe the equine details: those aren't mine. They came with the house (as all the furniture, TV, DVD player, dishes, 2 bottles of wine, lawnmower (not the push-me pull-you hodrdrdrdrdr kind), etc., etc.)



As aforementioned, that buggy isn't mine. No, seriously.



My bedroom, at night. Some of my biggest fans will recognize the bear-rug.



Bedroom during the day. Notice the view. Do you see the fork in the tree, out the window?



The same fork. Still from my bedroom, but I opened the window this time. I think my room is directly facing east.



Here I went outside, and around the house, leaning against the outside bedroom wall.



Same location, this time looking a little bit to the left. I think the night before we had a decent storm, hence the table cloth. Come winter I'll have to bring all the outdoor furniture into the garage.


People here aren't as obsessed about their lawns as Iowans. I think I went without a mow for 6 weeks before this.



One last picture of the bedroom view. It's not so pretty now: all the leaves are gone. When the snow comes I'll post more pictures of the backyard.




That's all folks! My guitar teacher is playing at One Caroline, as we speak. OK maybe he's out for a fag, but in any case I'll go check it out. Next Saturday I'm off to Barcelona for 9 days. And for the first time in my life, and along with 98,599 others I'll attend my Church, The Cathedral,the one true place of Worship, where my blood turns blue and red: F.C. Barcelona's football stadium, the Camp Nou. Behold the beauty.







5 comments:

Ismael Florit said...

Your houses is ridiculously good. Just too much for you. Since when did you turn into my older brother?
No no no my friend, go back to your halls of residence. Ok maybe not. =P
And get a macintosh. Get a studio. Start recording your own stuff. And get Reason. You'll love it. I'll send you the stuff I'm doing soon.

r.c.f. said...

your place looks sweet man. i'm jealous of the view. have fun in barcelona.

Sara said...

Yes, that has to be one of the cutest houses I have seen via email. And the view appears to be quite spectacular, definitely deserving of several shots of the same thing.

I have read the intro to Da Vinci Code and watched the movie. I plan on reading the book someday, maybe even soon. It is quite fascinating.

I will admit to sometimes developing my pictures at walmart too. But its just so cheap! And they usually do a good job, too. Although, their one hour service is almost never one hour anymore. The last time it was even three days!

me said...

gabe i've read the da vinci code...almost...i didn't finish it. i lost interest after the police chase and all that exciting stuff calmed down. plus i had to give the book back to my less than favorite former boss. i think the fact that she loved it jaded my opinion.

Gabriel Florit said...

oh that's too bad. but i can definitely understand how your dislike of your boss tainted the perception of the book. that happens to me all the time.

i found it a rather interesting (and quick) read, plus it made for some good thinking afterwards.

all in all a great book.