Saturday, October 22, 2005

On a Saturday night?

Yes. I am posting on a Saturday night.

Came up here to the office to reiterate, this is awesome! I just listened to an hour of quality jazz, the Jon Leroy trio, at 9 Maple Avenue. An organ player with two keyboards, left hand doing the walking bassline thing, right hand flying away. Solid drummer, constantly switching stick ends, and the guitarist, good grief! Very nice Gibson L5 (I think) routed through an EQ to get rid of feedback usually caused by open jazz boxes (most jazz guitars are built like cellos, and the L5 has the f-holes a violin would have, thereby causing feedback when you're too close to the noise source, but I put you to sleep already. sigh) and plugged into a rather bluesy sound Fender JazzKing. All in all a quality time. A free concert every night, beer or not. Which leads to the next thing: in Howards End, Anthony Hopkins' character tells Emma Thompson, when they go out for tea, "Always tip the waiter, if you tip the waiter he will remember you". Following that advice, I am tipping the 9 Maple Av. bartender a dollar per beer. Instead of $4, I give him a fiver. Before too long I shall become the Godfather of Maple Avenue.

Too bad there's only one establishment on that avenue/alley...

Back to jazz. It takes me 47 sec. to get there from work, and I think their smoke break must be over by now.

Shirley.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Gabe I strongly suggest that you change your template. It's old. You need a new one. Some people don't like it. Certain people might no longer be friends with you if you keep your current template.

sarah said...

i'm really not crazy about your template. AT ALL. could you change it please? it just isn't working for me. if you want to stay friends....

Margaret said...

wow! two comments! You're a popliar young man!

sarah said...

coincidences sure are freaky, huh?

sarah said...

four comments already. you're really on a roll tonight. big boy.

Margaret said...

who are these jokers?

Gabriel Florit said...

vodka? or gin?

i thought you'd given up on gin, sarah.