Saturday, October 22, 2005

Coming soon to a theater near you

This entry is being written in short spurts, while I wait for the screen to stop being busy and let me continue my work. I'd love to give more details, but I can't. Suffice it to say that I still love what I do! I brought in my electric guitar today, and as I walk in a USPS guy holds the door and remarks, "guitar to work huh? Must be a good job!". "It is a very good job", I replied. When I got to our room upstairs everyone crowded around Pantalones' guitar. C. (the resident guitar guru, he's quite good, fast and heavy-metal inclined - we usually hear about 20 min. of good and loud Metallica every day, courtesy of his Gibson/Fender guitar/amp combination) plugged it in and rocked away, while all 11 of us watched. 8 minutes later, "what's the verdict, C.?" I ask. "I hate the tremolo, but it's got a nice fat sound". Ever since changing the strings my old electric sounds so much nicer. I put really thick strings on, makes it hard to bend a note, but delivers a warm tone. Good for my soon to come previously mentioned Smooth Jazz Vol. 76.

Four of us went to Little India for lunch. Not a daily occurrence, since it's more of a sit-down meal. My Keena Mutter was verrah spicy. Was sweating like a greek mad cow who sees the health inspectors stealthily approaching with a double-barrel shotgun. Sorry, I was trying the "use-images-in-your-writing" approach, maybe it makes for interesting reading.

-------------------------------------

It's Saturday right now. Last night at happy hour the CEO bought everyone beer, which was nice. Everyone is very friendly here, the complete opposite of what I thought corporate America would be. Then E. and I went to jazz clubs to watch a guitarist and his looping pedal, a quartet (old geezer on drums, had a hard time walking around but did put a very aggressive beat to Miles Davis' So What, bassist that kept thinking he was playing a guitar and so burned away on his fretboard with phenomenally fast lines and comped fat chords, a trumpetist, and a saxophone who could really blow), and then back to the first venue for the guitarist plus pianist. A lot of fun, and good food and free beer (mostly). Went home a satisfied mind.

Then, today, here at WurldMedia to check my email, and there is a commotion going on in our building, I can see people coming in and out carrying boxes with film equipment. Turns out tomorrow part of this floor will be used for an indy film featuring Tim Daly and Tom Arnold, "The Skeptic". It's safe for me to walk around work today, but come Sunday no one is allowed to be in the building save for the film crew and one of our IT guys that will make sure everything is OK. Pretty exciting huh? There's a white van parked outside with less and less boxes inside of it as we type, a square-glasses guy wearing an Elvis Costello hat tipped sideways and a Dick Tracy grey coat, and two bossy looking, fashionably tight jeans and silk knee-high boots ladies walking around with cellphones and pointing fingers at walls. Of course when it's shown at Cannes the WurldMedia logo will be replaced with something else. Naturally.

5 comments:

r.c.f. said...

gabe, you may have the best posts in the community. also, tom arnold!?!? he's my FAVourite............................

glad you're having a good time.

Gabriel Florit said...

thanks ross! that's a nice thing to hear (read). i haven't seen any tom arnold movies lately, but the room next to this one is now blocked off. everything ready for tomorrow. i think it's going to be a lawyer movie, they covered the WurldMedia logo with a Simon & someoneelse white serif font plaque.

Alli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alli said...

Haha, it's funny that you wrote this like almost 3 years ago:

"Of course when it's shown at Cannes the WurldMedia logo will be replaced with something else. Naturally."

Because this movie "The Skeptic" indeed is going to have it's premiere in Cannes this year (May 21st 2008). How did you know this? :)

Here is the link:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=687323&category=ARTS&newsdate=5/9/2008

Gabriel Florit said...

Odd. I completely forgot about it. I can't wait to see it now, I'll recognize all the locations!