Friday, December 22, 2006

Winter Solstice

Yesterday was the longest night of winter: 5h 28m in Anchorage. However, word on the street is that our nights are LONGER than, say, Seattle's. How so, you ask, if Alaska is much closer to the North Pole? Snow. We have lots of snow. Once snow arrives it doesn't leave until May, making everything very white. Couple that with low snow cloud cover often during the week, and nights are so bright you can almost read by - it's not moonlight, hmmm - let's call it snowlight. Example: this is Hillside at 11:33pm on Tuesday night.

corduroy

(Hillside is one of many places to go crosscountry skiing in Anchorage. This particular spot is my favorite, being 6 minutes from home. We had a lot of snow that day, about 7 inches. The groomer did a fabulous job, and I almost cried when I saw that perfect corduroy and me with no skis. I know, I know, I could have gone back home, get dressed, bring my lights - but I had to work the next day. A pitiful excuse.)

8 comments:

Ismael Florit said...

Now it's all taking shape isn't it. Next time you could try locking the exposure on a piece of white? Cause i'm convinced that snow aint yellow....

nice try and keep it up >=D

Gabriel Florit said...

silly boy. in anchorage the snow turns a pinkish yellow come nighttime.

scott hendric said...

what is this? you're in our wedding, but we're not "old friends"? Outrageous!

(this is Margaret, by the way. But Scott agrees. I know he does.)

Gabriel Florit said...

sorry! blogger deleted my friends list. i figured it would be interesting to restore it by putting up links every time that person comments. so now margaret's blog gets added.

sarah said...

so does mine, right?

Gabriel Florit said...

yep.

Amanda said...

that picture is...eerie. i like it. perhaps something like that could inspire me enough to try skiing or snowboarding again...

SaraMonet' said...

i have to admit, i hate that you've shown me places (in pictures) that i would love to go visit, but have no money to do so. i still love the pictures though.