Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pictures

No, I didn't win the Lake Placid Half-Marathon. My time was about 2hr 4 min, and the winner did something like 1hr 5min. So I was pretty close.

Things I learned:
1) Although uncomfortable at first, running in cold mist is good for the body.
2a) I have the World's Smallest Bladder.
2b) This will be an issue during the NYC marathon - no woods for me to pee in.
3) Need to work on my pacing. During the first 7 miles I ran a too-slow-but-comfortable 10 minute mile. The rest were about 8 minute miles, and the last one was an 7 minute mile sprint.

It was a truly wonderful experience. We stayed in a rather quaint log cottage 3 miles from the finish line. I went to bed at 11pm, but probably slept 2 hours total. Got up at 6am, started drinking and eating, and then off to the site.

Going through that finish line was an unbelievable feeling. I placed rather low in my category, but it doesn't matter: approaching an official finish line, with a digital clock, and people yelling your name, the PA announcing "Gabriel Florit from Saratoga Springs, coming in strong", ... it was all worth the pain I felt immediately afterwards and for the next 15 minutes.

And God bless the lady that offered me a cup full of warm chicken broth.

Here's some pictures to prove I'm not making this up.





And finally, watch my decapitated head mysteriously reappear as I cross the finish line (this might take a second or two to load - blame it on the internets and the tubes and the congestion and so forth):

9 comments:

r.c.f. said...

hooray!! thanks for the new post and pictures, man. you look like you're workin hard in those pictures. i'd watch the video but we have dial-up...

good luck at NYC.

sarah said...

where's the proof of the chicken broth? oh well, you look like you were working hard. i've never seen that kind of face on you before.
nice work!

r.c.f. said...

gabe, we want to hear about the nightmare. duh.

Amanda said...

Cheers to a good run! I'd say I wish I coulda been there, but I doubt I woulda made it past a mile, as you might well remember... Felicidades!

JustinVK said...

Hey Gabe you are truly inspiring
the video was cool

Carolyn said...

Gabe that was so inspiring!! Seriously, you made me want to go run a marathon right now. I think I'm going to compromise with my body and do a couple halfs this fall...keep the advice coming!!!

Dane said...

I once ran. It almost killed me. Glad to hear the training and running is going good. Sorry about getting decapitated. That must be rough!

Adam said...

You look like Jason Lee in the first photo. So clearly these are all fabrications. Very convincing, the way you got him to sort of hunch over and grab the knees after finishing. I almost bought it.

ethan said...

congratulations on a great run, and we hope you enjoy the NYC marathon!